Facilities You Need In An Apartment For Staying Safe
Apartments are more popular than houses because they are considered cheaper with no maintenance charges associated. Most apartment complexes have a designated security system, gymnasium, community halls and many other facilities. However, one should not rely entirely on the security and safety facilities provided by the contractors. The following pointers should be added to the apartment to ensure safe and healthy living.
Before moving in
- Assessment and exploration of the surroundings: A thorough background check for a safe neighbourhood devoid of criminal activities, should be done before purchasing the apartment.
- Ensure the apartment has:
- A working peephole with a wide angle view.
- Proper locks on all doors and windows that open and close properly.
- Secure covering (grills) on balconies to prevent tripping over.
- Secure compound walls all over the complex.
- Fire exits during emergencies.
After moving in
- Invest in a security system: Install a proper security system equipped with biometric trackers and CCTV cameras outside the apartment to wade off a potential threat.
- Install an alarm: If you tend to leave the apartment locked up during a certain period of time, these systems will notify the owner and also the security guards of the compound, about a break in. Also, the loud alarm often scares a burglar away.
- Fire extinguishers: They should be handy at an accessible place as one cannot predict when emergencies can occur.
- Share a good rapport with the security guard: They will notify you of any untoward incident that might occur in your apartment.
Finally, to keep it etched in your mind, remember these three words: enquire, evaluate and ensure.
Enquire: Take notice of the surroundings and the immediate vicinity where you hope to shift base with your family. Make detailed enquiries about the locality.
Evaluate: Calculate the positives and negatives about the locality and the overall profit you should receive if you change your residence. Look for schools and hospitals.
Ensure: Make sure all the security arrangements are made before moving in.