Tips For Hassle-Free Home Relocation
Moving from one house to another can be a pain, unless you can do it efficiently. The faster you get it done and the more focus you put into it, the sooner it’s over. However, in addition to focus and hard work, there are various logistical elements that come into play. Here are some tips, to ensure that the process remains hassle-free:
- Research on your packers and movers: One of the most common errors in judgement, is not researching on the packers and movers while choosing them. Do your homework well, on their background and credentials. Ensure that they have a license under the Transportation Department of the state you live in.
- Pack items counter-intuitively: While it seems sensible to pack all the heavy items together in one big box marked fragile, it is not ideal. Pack them in smaller boxes so that they remain in place.
- Spend wisely on packing: Many people spend a lot of money to pack their belongings. Using cardboard boxes and other things available in your home, might help you save on money that you would otherwise spend, on buying packing materials.
- Keep the measurements in mind: It is essential to measure and remember the clearance space in your new home before moving in, as you could end up having extra baggage with no idea what to do with it.
- Avoid packing explosive and inflammable materials: Avoid packing any material that is explosive or inflammable. In addition to safety issues, it may be illegal too, depending on where you live.
- Do not lose your bill of lading: You should be careful in handling your bill of lading. This is an extremely important document, containing the guidelines of the contract you have with your movers. It is not only important till your belongings are moved, unloaded and unpacked, but also in case any of any bdisputes arising in the future.
- Pay the required taxes: Packers and movers have some clearly laid down regulations and rules, regarding any taxes that may be applicable. Once again, do your homework as these differ from state to state and so do the penalties. In no situation, should you choose to ignore them, as doing so will be risky and could place you on the wrong side of the law.