Why Puducherry Must Become A Smart City
Puducherry, formerly known as Pondicherry, is a beautiful coastal city on the eastern coast with a rich historical and cultural heritage. One of the most beautiful places in India, the Union territory attracts both domestic and international tourists in large numbers.
Though it was the first city to submit its proposal for the Narendra Modi-led government's ambitious smart city project, it is yet to be included in the list of cities announced by the government for fund allocations. Kiran Bedi, the newly appointed Lieutenant Governor, recently said that Puducherry deserved to be a smart city and that she was optimistic that it would be included by the central government in the next round.
French development agency Agence Francaise de Developpement recently offered financial assistance to develop Puducherry into a smart city. The country intends to help develop infrastructure of the city, so that it can become a world-class tourist destination. PropGuide takes a look at how turning the city smart will change the UT for the better:
- Tourism: Puducherry is one the most sought-after tourist spots in southern India. Tourism plays an important role in Puducherry's economy. Its beaches and many historical heritage locales attract tourists in large numbers. Developing it into a smart city will draw more visitors and boost inflow of foreign exchange.
- Education: Puducherry is home to some of the most coveted educational institutions in the country. These include the Pondicherry University and the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research. A smart city will certainly promote smarter learning.
- Health care: Puducherry offers affordable health care facilities, which are priced considerably lower than most countries. A thriving health tourism sector can get a major boost with a smart city tag.
- Traffic and transportation: A hi-tech and modern railway station here makes even the boring wait for trains interesting. However, the city faces traffic problems like every other city. Smart solutions would streamline traffic movement and end transportation woes. Besides, public transport is the most common mode of travel within the city, especially for the students coming from across the country. Having a smart public transport system will be of great help to them.
- Corporate offsite venue: Puducherry is also a budding destination for conducting corporate meeting and events. The UT provides all necessary facilities at competitive prices, along with a beautiful view and enjoyment while at work. When it turns all smart, Puducherry will provide a more conducive environment for such events.
- Governance: By introducing smart solutions, authorities can initiate changes in the governance process. This will benefit both residents and tourists.
- The walkers: Puducherry is a paradise for the city walkers who love to explore the city on foot. Roaming the streets of Puducherry gives a very different view of the city. Developing it into a smart city would help people navigating through the streets.